4419 Albany Post Road
This distinctive gatehouse was built in 1876 for the Hyde Park estate then owned by Walter Langdon Jr., grandson of multimillionaire John Jacob Astor. This lovely example of the Chateauesque style inspired by French manor houses features a steeply pitched hipped roof, round headed dormers, French doors, finials and decorative chimney pots and is likely the work of architects Sturgis and Brigham of Boston. Originally located 50 yards to the north, the gatehouse was moved by Frederick W. Vanderbilt who purchased the estate after Langdon's death in 1895 and built a new Beaux-Arts style mansion and gatehouses of Indiana limestone. The gatehouse is privately owned and not open to the public.